Monday, June 2, 2008

Tutoring at the Tacoma Rescue Mission


I tutored math at the Tacoma Rescue Mission today. Good stuff. I can't wait to go back.

The Tacoma Rescue Mission has a program called New Life. Homeless men and women can sign up for an intense, in-house program that emphasizes spiritual growth, addiction recovery, and employment skills. At New Life Square they have dormitories for all of the guys in the program. It's pretty neat--they have lounge areas, a basketball court, and a work-out facility. It kind of reminded me of a college dorm. Every day they have an intense program of devotions, recreation, and education. I helped with the math class--teaching people job skills and preparing some to test for their GED.

I'm hoping to go back every Monday afternoon, but I haven't been officially taken on as a tutor yet. You can get more information about the Tacoma Rescue Mission here.

No comments: