Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Psalm 16

Psalm 16 (NET):

A prayer of David.

Protect me, O God, for I have taken shelter in you.

2 I say to the LORD, "You are the sovereign Master,
my only source of well-being."

3 As for God's chosen people who are in the land,
and the leading officials I admired so much--
4 their troubles multiply,
they desire other gods.
I will not pour out drink offerings of blood to their gods,
nor will I make vows in the name of their gods.

5 LORD, you give me stability and prosperity;
you make my future secure.
6 It is as if I have been given fertile fields or received a beautiful tract of land.

7 I will praise the LORD who guides me;
yes, during the night I reflect and learn.
8 I constantly trust in the LORD;
because he is at my right hand, I will not be upended.

9 So my heart rejoices
and I am happy;
My life is safe.
10 You will not abandon me to Sheol;
you will not allow your faithful follower to see the Pit.
11 You lead me in the path of life;
I experience absolute joy in your presence;
you always give me sheer delight.

This Psalm beautifully expresses the goodness of the Lord. I love verse 6, rendered by the NIV, "The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance." It's a great picture of God's sovereign control over simple, everyday things like how property is divided. God is good, and we can't complain.

The other side of this Psalm is that those who desire other gods multiply their troubles. True.

"Father, I thank You for the way You have watched over me. I don't give You enough credit for Your goodness. Amen."

No comments: