Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Holistic Spirituality

The final lesson in my Spiritual Life class was on holistic spirituality. I thought of some things to say, but then I watched Rob Bell's Everything Is Spiritual and I thought, "Wow. This guy says it way better than I ever could." So, we watched the movie instead.

In the movie, Bell says (I am paraphrasing), "While I won't deny that something special happens when God's people come together to worship, I think sometimes our emphasis on God being there makes us forget that God is here." In other words, while God may be present in a special way when the church gathers together to worship, we can't forget that everything that we do is a spiritual act (1 Corinthians 10:31). We can't compartmentalize our lives into "spiritual things" and "not spiritual things."

One of my favorite lines in the movie is when Bell says (again paraphrasing), "So you can't say, 'I'm just not in to spiritual things.' Are you human? . . . Too late! The issue isn't whether you are spiritual; it's whether your eyes are open to see it."

No comments: