Thursday, January 1, 2009

Finished Translating the New Testament

Yesterday I finished translating the New Testament for the second time in my life. It's a ton of work, but it helps me understand the Scriptures unlike anything else I do.

I'm debating what to do next. I don't have the courage to tackle the Hebrew Old Testament. My Hebrew is not good enough to do it in a timely manner. It would take me several years to do the whole thing.

I have considered translating the LXX. Although knowledge of Hebrew is certainly valuable for New Testament studies, I'm not sure how widespread knowledge of Hebrew was among the early church. I think much of the language of the New Testament was borrowed from the LXX, so translating it would shed light on the vocabulary of the early church.

I will probably try it out and see how hard it is.

No comments: